Hi, I'm Martine Barclay!
Welcome to my corner of the internet, where the coffee is hot and anything is possible!
People often describe me as kind, firm and insightful.
Truth be known, I'm many things. I'm a wife, mother, friend, colleague and entrepreneur to name a few. I'm also a trauma informed Psychotherapist, Counsellor, Personal Development and Breathing Coach.
I help you to perform at your best. I help you to optimise your energy, calm and organise your thoughts, and tap into your inner strength, so you can have clarity on how to move forward with your particular situation.
I LOVE what I do and I honestly believe that this is what I am meant to be doing!
It wasn't always like this. I started my working career by focusing on earning a living. I followed my nose and did the jobs I thought would be interesting and fun. I started in a magazine, followed by a retail head office, and then investment banking before leaving London and moving to Sydney, Australia. In Sydney I worked in tech, accounting, law and investment banking. It took me a while to realise, (sometimes I can be stubborn :)), that those moments of job satisfaction were short lived.
I FINALLY learned that added responsibilities, a new project or a new organisation wasn't going to be enough to keep me interested any more. I needed a different strategy to feel fulfilled at work.
Enter Redefine Your Edge...
a place for you to talk about what you long for most and can't buy. Peace of Mind. A place where career strategies can be developed, meaningful relationships advanced, and self-awareness refined and optimised.
Working with hundreds of people, in a variety of contexts, I have learned that any obstacle can be overcome provided you have the right mix of support, challenge, reflection and skill building.
Recognising when energy levels might need adjusting or replenishing is a key part of that. And I don't mean physical exercise, although that helps.
Energy levels determine how much transformation is possible. It dictates the quality of your thoughts, actions and mood. So that's where we start... equipping you for your transformation journey.
After hundreds of client psychotherapy, counselling and coaching sessions I realised that most of my clients shared a common challenge... confidently and consistently sleeping well.
I'm grateful to my clients; they have always informed my own professional development.
Sleep challenges are more common than you think. With a restful night's sleep life gets easier. You have the energy to transform your challenge for good. I believe falling asleep, staying asleep and waking feeling refreshed is a key pillar to working well and living well.
Today, I aim to provide a space (physical or online) where you can openly talk about your struggles and dreams; consider alternative ways to achieve your goals; and, leave feeling empowered and hopeful about your future.
How we work together is up to you. It could be talking about what's top of mind for you. It could be you recounting a pattern of behaviour you are wanting to change, or it could mean developing increased self-insight through a structured activity.
No matter the approach, I can be flexible. I have a toolkit bursting with evidence-based strategies, and you're in charge. Together we'll navigate to where you want to be.
You can be assured that I'll be looking out for you as you navigate your challenge.
Looking back on my life, I would have benefitted from working with someone like me. If I had a cheerleader in my corner, with no vested interests, who helped me understand myself better and taught me how to listen to my inner wisdom, I could have started to enjoy my life much more at a much earlier age!
Today I appreciate the trust clients have in me and the work we do together. I am humbled by their courage and their achievements as a result of working with me.
When you work with me you can be assured I am able to support you to integrate your work goals, with your personal goals and the latest research as it relates to your challenge, so you have a clear path forward.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Masters of Counselling and Applied Psychotherapy (Jansen Newman Institute)
- Bachelors of Social Science, Industrial Psychology (University of Cape Town)
- Postgraduate Diploma in HR (Thames Valley University), CIPD
- Fundamentals of Sleep (Australasian Sleep Association)
- Fundamentals of Sleep Medicine Online (Sydney University)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Insomnia [CBT-I] (Dr Michael Perlis, PESI)
- Certificate in Buteyko Breathing Method (Patrick McKeown & Mim Beim, Buteyko Clinic International)
- PACFA Approved SVS Supervisor Training Certificate of Attainment
- Organisational Coach Level 2 (IECL)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MTIA), MBSR Level 1
- Mindful Self-Compassion (UC San Diego School of Medicine), MSC Level 1
- Couples and Addiction Recovery, a Gottman Approach (Dr Robert Navarra, PESI)
- SMART group facilitator, SMART Recovery Australia
- Variety of accreditations for leadership assessment and personal development tools
- Australian Counselling Association (ACA)
- Psychotherapy & Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA)
- Australasian Sleep Association (ASA)
- Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine
- Buteyko Clinic International
- Australasian Centre for Eating Disorders (ACFED)
- National Eating Disorders Collaboration (NEDC)
- SMART Recovery Australia
- Mental Health Practitioner Network (MHPN)